Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nimbus - mini paramotor project

Nimbus - mini paramotor project 1 year 2 months ago #938

Hey there, I`m a new Nimbus owner with the setup from mattias. I did today my first test on a flatten meadow but i couldn´t take off because i didn´t have enough thrust. Wind was about 10-15km/h.

I think my harness is to close to the propellor or my totaly weight is to much. What do you think?

Main Facts:
Voltage: 55,5V
Prop: 28/10
Motor: 150KV Turnigy CA120
Nimbus weight: 15kg
Glider weight range: 70-95kg
Ready to start weight (pilot+harness): 83kg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nimbus - mini paramotor project 1 year 2 months ago #939

Your propeller is on backwards. The curved side faces front, the flat side in the direction you want the thrust to push.

-Rob

Nimbus - mini paramotor project 1 year 2 months ago #940

rfreynol wrote: Your propeller is on backwards. The curved side faces front, the flat side in the direction you want the thrust to push.

Oh i'm an idiot. I did not recognize when mounting the form. Now the thrust is much better but the wind is to heavy for testing now :(
Thank you very much!

Nimbus - mini paramotor project 1 year 4 weeks ago #1041

Hey guys,

in the last two weeks i did three testflights with my nimbus and it was very exciting.

But i got some issues at my 3. flight... I lost one connector of the Turnigy CA120 Motor. Maybe the soldering was bad and the contact resistance to high. And i also recognized the higher temperature of the motor and the Lipos (about 70°Celsius). Can that be a reason of the red leaf (28x10)? At my test i got about 130 Amps at 55 Volts out of my 8000mAh Zippys.

I builded my frame like the CAD file from Gamba. All the stuff is balanced but when i switch on the motor the frame push upwards and so i get not all thrust forward...I climbed only 80 meters above the starting point. Does anyone have a sketch with a working nimbus?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodrigomedeirosbrazil

Nimbus - mini paramotor project 1 year 4 weeks ago #1044

addy wrote: I builded my frame like the CAD file from Gamba. All the stuff is balanced but when i switch on the motor the frame push upwards and so i get not all thrust forward

Hi Addy.
Sorry, but I don't think it is the design and I think It's an easy fix. To prevent the system from tilting when powered, the pressure point must be directly on your suspension point. If the pressure point is above the suspension point, the Nimbus will tilt forward/down... and vice versa. So, you just need to adjust the angle of the motor.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodrigomedeirosbrazil, addy

CEO - G-Air
www.g-air.eu/

Nimbus - mini paramotor project 4 months 2 weeks ago #1242

Hello everyone,

I also started my e-help project based on the idea of the nimbus from simon. I also contacted mattias to ask some details of his build and he was very helpful. Thanks!

This is my parts list with prices in €:

Motor CA120 - 217
ESC Fatboy - 280
28x10 Wood Prop - 23
6m Alurohr 30x2mm - 35
9x Flansch - 35
8x Seitenverbinder - 10
10x 470uf 100V 16x31mm - 5
8m AWG8 Si Kabel - 30
Mini Remote - 17
MDF Platte ca 3cm

6m Alurohr 8x2mm - ?

or

3x 1m 8mm CFK
Carbon-Rohr ø 6 x Ø 8mm 2m - 14.70

2x 2m 8mm GFK
GFK-Rundstab 8mmx2000mm - 5.60

I'm not quite sur yet what material to use for the cage, first i wanted to use 8/2mm aluminium tube but this is not available locally. The other option would be CFK and GFK tube but im not sure if this is strong enough.

I already started with bending the aluminium tube, the first bend was not so pretty because the bending radius was too small (12cm) i then used a larger radius for the other bends (19cm) and that went quite well. Another problem that i ran into was that the end of the tube where the motor attatches is very far behind the end of the harness (30cm) i hope this still works.

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wannabeaflyer, rodrigomedeirosbrazil

Nimbus - mini paramotor project 2 months 3 weeks ago #1266

The motormount and battery are ready. Still undecided what material to use for the cage, i would prefer 8mm aluminium tube but its not available here, so i probably have to go with carbon tube and glass fiber rod for the ring.

Nimbus - mini paramotor project 2 months 2 weeks ago #1267

Finished the cage, its 98cm diameter, a little bit too big for the 28 inch prop. I went with carbon fiber tubes and glass fiber rods for the ring. Used heat shrink to cover the glass fiber.